What we do
Donate to Orchid Project
Orchid Project is a lean, energetic, efficient outfit and always intend to remain so. Your donation will help us make more of an impact. Any amount will help us to continue with our work.
You can donate to us in a number of ways:
1. Donate regularly. If you can commit to a regular donation of as little as £7 a month you can be part of ending FGC. Regular donations let us plan for the future and mean we can commit to more projects and progress. And if you’re a UK tax payer, with Gift Aid we can claim an extra 25p in every £1 donated.
2. Make a one-off donation - please remember to Gift Aid your donation.
3. If you are Danish, join Foreningen Orchid Project Danmark, our Danish supporter group based in Copenhagen.
4. Write us a cheque. Contact us here for more details.
5. Text us smaller donations from within the UK. Text ORCH10 £5 to 70070 to donate any amount up to £10.
How can you help?
There are several ways that you can support our work to end FGC. Donations are always welcome but we also need Ambassadors to inform themselves about female genital cutting and to spread the good news of abandonment and the hope that an end is possible within a generation.
Here are some ideas for ways that you can support us:
1. Inform yourself about FGC and what is being done to tackle the issue. Our new website is full of information and we regularly post new blogs on a variety of issues. Education is the first step to ending FGC, so please inform yourself.
2. Keep updated on our activities so that you can keep in touch with our news, our forthcoming events and fundraisers:
3. Raise awareness by sharing information about FGC and Orchid Project across your networks. Honest and open discussions are really important in taking the taboo out of FGC.
4. Fundraise for Orchid Project. Whether you’re a runner, a swimmer, a mountain climber, an event organiser or none of those, you can raise money for Orchid Project by setting yourself a sponsored challenge, or organising a fundraising event. Get in touch to let us know more about what you’d like to do.
In Memory of Zoe Miller
It is with tremendous sadness and shock that we learnt about the untimely death of Zoe Miller, in a tragic accident near her home on 23 April 2012.
Two months earlier, we met Zoe for the first time on International Day against female genital cutting, on 6th February. Her mum, Jane, had asked that she attend our event at the House of Commons.
Zoe showed poise, understanding, compassion and maturity. She also loved meeting Sister Fa, and the atmosphere at the concert later on in the evening. It made us more intent to understand that everyone needs to respond to the challenges of FGC with their own honesty and truth. Above all else, as a girl raised in Africa and having travelled to so many places in her life, she seemed to really comprehend the sensitivities and complexities behind FGC and its ending.
It is with great honour that Orchid has accepted the Miller family’s wishes to set up a fund to celebrate her life. To know that somehow, Zoe’s spirit will be with us as we continue our tireless work to help end female genital cutting seems entirely fitting. We hope we do justice to her adventurous spirit and loving determination, of her and of her family.
If you would like to donate in memory of Zoe Miller, you may do so here.